The American Red Cross has an urgent need for types O negative and positive, B negative and A negative blood donations. Distributions of types O negative and positive, B negative and A negative to hospitals are outpacing donations in some cases, creating an urgent need.
Overall, blood donations are down in the first five months of 2012, compared to the same period last year. And, there is almost half the amount of readily available blood in the Red Cross inventory than there was at this point in time last year. It’s the blood on the shelves that helps save patients’ lives.
- You can donate at Wal-Mart Lafayette Blood Drive between 11 AM and 4 PM on June 28. Walk-ins are welcomed, appointments have priority. Eligible donors can call 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767) or go online to redcrossblood.org for more information and to make a blood donation appointment.
“Forty-five donors are needed on this day to create a successful blood drive fulfilling the needs for hospital patients including the local hospital” explains Jean Ann Mayberry, American Red Cross Senior Donor Recruitment Representative for Macon County.
To thank you for donating blood all presenting donors will receive a
- Rock and Roll Up Your Sleeve t-shirt
- Chance to win a Gibson guitar
- ALL aged 16 to 21 presenting donors are eligible for a $5,000 scholarship.
Recently, a new mother at a hospital served by the American Red Cross needed 32 units of red blood cells, 1o units of platelets, 10 units of plasma and 15 units of cryoprecipitate. Another 12-year-old patient needed 30 units of type O negative red blood cells and 36 units of platelets. Thanks to dedicated Red Cross donors, the products were available for these patients.
- Individuals who are 17 years of age (16 with parental permission in some states), weigh at least 110 pounds and are generally in good health may be eligible to donate blood. High school students and other donors 18 years of age and younger also have to meet certain height and weight requirements. Eligible donors can call 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767) or go online to redcrossblood.org for more information and to make a blood donation appointment.