Six people lost their home Sunday afternoon when a fire began in the attic space and quickly engulfed the entire residence.
A fire was reported at 606 Green Grove Road (Hwy141), Westmoreland early Sunday afternoon. The Lafayette Fire Department received the call at about 2:20 p.m. and sent Fire Engine #2, Tanker 22 and Truck #5 out to the scene. There were 13 firemen who worked on the scene for four hours.
The house belonged to Keith Trent and family. Sandra Trent and daughter Delanie were home when the fire started. Sandra explains, “We were in the house and the fireplace started crackling and we noticed smoke coming out of the trim work around the fireplace. We went outside and seen smoke coming from the shingles and around the chimney. I went back in the house and called the fire in and grabbed some important papers and my purse. When my husband arrived, he went and grabbed his guns and an armful of my clothes.”
“The house is pretty much destroyed” stated Lafayette Fire Chief Keith Scruggs, “Very little of their personal effects were saved, most everything was destroyed. No one was injured. The American Red Cross was notified.”
Scruggs said the fire was caused by a modular fireplace in the home. There had been a problem with the fireplace where it went through the ceiling. “The fire was in a space between the ceiling and roof, but that small of a space we can’t get a person in there,” reported Chief Scruggs. He said that there was also a small rekindle fire on Monday morning, on a couch in the residence, but it was quickly extinguished and caused no further damage.
The family is staying with other relatives.