On Wednesday, December 5, faculty at Macon County Jr. High school were made aware that some students had passed around and ingested an unidentified type of mushroom that a student had brought onto school grounds.
The student had found the mushrooms in the woods behind his or her house and brought it to school without malicious intent.
“Two or three of the students thought they’d be edible and tried them,” said school Principal Bobby Bransford. “You know, some of those mushrooms can be really poisonous! So we just wanted to take precautions; we brought the emergency vehicles and had everyone checked out and everyone was fine. We just wanted to make sure there wasn’t any type of ill effects.”
Local rumors had it that there had been some kind of drug activity at the school, but law enforcement was quick to refute this idea. “We were called on the scene simply to make sure,” said Det. Crawford of the Macon County Sheriff Department. “It wasn’t what everybody thought it was.”