Problem identified and addressed quickly; no class time lost

Last updated: February 25. 2014 1:31PM - 622 Views
By Tilly Cryar, Editor tcryar@civitasmedia.com

Story Tools:

Font Size:

Social Media:

Macon County High School was briefly evacuated on Monday morning when smoke was detected in the cafeteria area of the campus.

Assistant Principal Tracy Strong said that school SRO Captain Adkins was doing his routine rounds at about 7:00 AM when he noticed the smoke, and he asked the school principals to come take a look. One of the heating vents was emitting a small amount of smoke. The principals evacuated the students because they weren’t exactly sure of the source of the smoke.

Lafayette Fire Department was called, as well as Maintenance Supervisor Randy Robinson. Robinson identified a problem with a compressor, which had overheated.

Students were back in class by 7:45.

“So really it didn’t affect our classes at all,” said Strong. “We’re fortunate to have identified the problem.”

All user comments are subject to our Terms of Service. Users may flag inappropriate comments.
comments powered by Disqus

Featured Businesses


Info Minute

Gas Prices

Lafayette Gas Prices provided by GasBuddy.com