Renters in the process of moving in; belongings destroyed

Last updated: June 09. 2014 3:51PM - 2202 Views
By Tilly Dillehay tcryar@civitasmedia.com

Story Tools:

Font Size:

Social Media:

A single-wide mobile home burned out completely on Monday in Lafayette, destroying belongings owned by a family that was in the process of moving in.

The fire call came in at about noon. The home, which was a rental property located on Elm Street in Lafayette, was already fully involved by the time Lafayette firemen arrived.

It was owned by Judy Carter, and the Steven Bandy family had just rented it. They were bringing loads of personal property over, and had left to get another load, according to Fire Chief Keith Scruggs, when the fire broke out.

“They lost a lot of their personal property… and they didn’t have renters insurance,” said Scruggs. “The Red Cross is up here now, trying to help them out a little. The Red Cross is active in Macon County, for sure… maybe everything will work out for the best.”

Scruggs said that the single-wide was one of the last of its kind in Lafayette, and had been added to and remodeled. It had electrical problems, and these were the cause of the fire.

“But we got it out in about an hour; it didn’t spread to adjoining property, no firefighters were injured, so that’s not as bad,” said Scruggs.

The structure was a total loss.

All user comments are subject to our Terms of Service. Users may flag inappropriate comments.
comments powered by Disqus

Featured Businesses


Info Minute

Gas Prices

Lafayette Gas Prices provided by GasBuddy.com