Parents who heard rumors of a fire call at Fairlane Elementary School can rest easy. At about 10:30 this morning, Lafayette Fire Department and other emergency units were called to the school after smoke was seen and fire alarms went off.
“It was just a malfunction of a fan motor,” said Philip Smith of the Lafayette Fire Department. “Just some light smoke; just enough to set the alarm off. No problems whatsoever. Anytime the fire alarm goes off, they evacuate.”
Students were evacuated to the school yard for about twenty minutes while the issue was investigated.