Charged last month for attempted armed robbery, Eugene Gentry is now connected to $90,000 robbery from last year

Last updated: December 13. 2013 12:21PM - 2369 Views
Tilly Dillehay Editor

Eugene Earl Gentry
Eugene Earl Gentry
Story Tools:

Font Size:

Social Media:

A Lafayette man was indicted this week by a federal grand jury and charged with the armed robbery of two banks located in Kentucky and a carjacking. According to the six-count indictment, Eugene Earl Gentry, age 63, is charged with two counts of bank robbery, three counts of brandishing a firearm during a crime of violence and one count of carjacking.

The Times reported last month that Gentry was arrested and charged with 1st degree robbery and fleeing and evading arrest on October 29, 2013. Gentry allegedly held up a Citizens Bank officer at gunpoint and then fled police in a 5-7 mile police chase that ended in Gentry crashing and being airlifted to the hospital.

KY Police Captain Patricia Thompson reported that he’d waited in the lobby to speak to a loan officer, whom he then asked for money. He then allegedly brandished a loaded Hi-Point semi-automatic handgun, and talked with her for a while as she refused to give him the money. “So I guess at a certain point he felt like he had been there too long,” concluded Thompson. “So he told her he would let it go this time, but he would be back.”

Gentry was flagged down by police, stopped, and pursued until he crashed into a parked tractor trailer at high speed. He remained in critical condition for some time at Kentucky Medical Center.

Investigating officers only later connected Gentry to another armed robbery that took place in Kentucky almost exactly a year before this one. On October 15, 2012, Gentry allegedly made off with $90,000 after robbing a United Citizens Bank in Columbia, KY with a semi-automatic handgun.

He is also accused of stealing a 1998 Ford Ranger Pickup that same day, brandishing a similar handgun. This carries the additional charge of carjacking.

If convicted at trial, Gentry faces 122 years in prison, a fine of $1.5 million, and supervised release for a period of five years.

This case is being prosecuted by Assistant United States Attorney Randy Ream and is being investigated by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) with assistance from the Campbellsville Police Department, Columbia Police Department and the Adair County, Kentucky, Sheriff’s Department.

The indictment of a person by a Grand Jury is an accusation only and that person is presumed innocent until and unless proven guilty.

All user comments are subject to our Terms of Service. Users may flag inappropriate comments.
comments powered by Disqus

Featured Businesses


Info Minute

Gas Prices

Lafayette Gas Prices provided by GasBuddy.com